To respond to Our Lady's call
Seventy-three years ago, on the 31st of October 1942, for the first time in history, the world was consecrated to the Immaculate Heart of Mary by Pope Pius XII. This consecration is the fruit of the Fatima apparitions. In fact, it is the expression « the Immaculate Heart of Mary » (or « My Immaculate Heart ») which is repeated most often in the dialogues of the different apparitions. It appears 8 times.
- Once, in the Angel’s third apparition, in the autumn of 1916 : « Through the infinite merits of His most Sacred Heart and of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I beg of You the conversion of poor sinners. »
- Again, in Our Lady’s apparition of the 13th of May, 1917 : « Are you willing to offer yourselves to God to bear all the sufferings that it is His will to send you ( ... ) in reparation for the blasphemies, as well as all the offenses, committed against the Immaculate Heart of Mary ? »
- Twice on the 13th of June : « He [Jesus] wishes to establish the devotion to my Immaculate Heart throughout the world. ( ... ) My Immaculate Heart will be your refuge and the way which will lead you to God. »
- And four times on the 13th of July : « Oh, Jesus, it is through love for You, for the conversion of sinners, and in reparation for the sins committed against the Immaculate Heart of Mary. ( ... ) To save them, God wishes to establish the devotion to my Immaculate Heart throughout the world. ( ... ) I will come to ask for the consecration of Russia to my Immaculate Heart and the Communion of Reparation on the first Saturdays of the month. ( ... ) My Immaculate Heart will triumph in the end. »
Such frequence shows that it is really the central point of the message of Fatima. Jacinta understood this perfectly, because a few days before leaving for the hospital, she confided to her cousin :
I don’t have much time before I go to Heaven. As for you, you’ll stay here in order to tell that God wants to establish the devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary throughout the world. The time has come to say it, so don’t hide yourself. Tell everybody that God grants us His graces by means of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, that they should be asked for through Her, that the Heart of Jesus wishes that the Immaculate Heart of Mary be venerated with Him, and that we ask the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, because it is to Her that God has confided it. (3rd memoir)
In eight short sentences, Heaven has thereby revealed the essence of this devotion :
- Its origin : divine will (confirmed twice, on the 13th of June and the 13th of July ;
- Its aim : to save sinners ;
- The source of its power : the Heart of Jesus, always associated with that of Mary by the Angel ;
- Its practices :
- prayers and sacrifices offered for the conversion of sinners,
- the Communion of Reparation on the first Saturdays of the month,
- consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary ;
- Its fruits : the conversion of sinners and peace in the world ;
- Its end : the triumph of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
Our Lady came to Fatima to remind us of the consequences of sin : Hell for ourselves and wars for the world. God gave us the means to prevent this : the devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. This devotion has such an exceptional power that Heaven matched its revelation to equally exceptional phenomena, such as the solar miracle of the 13th of October, 1917 (see Newsletter no.12). It is necessary to make the most of the two years between now and the centenary of the apparitions to get to know this devotion better, and, above all, to put it into practice.
One of the points of this devotion demands only a modest effort : the consecration to the Immaculate Heart, the fruits of which are considerable. This consecration can be made in different ways. Abbé Desgenettes consecrated his parish. Our Lady asked for the consecration of a country. Several dioceses are consecrated to the Immaculate Heart of Mary, etc. Each time, the fruits resulting from this are marvellous. For example, the course of the second world war changed shortly after the consecration of the world by Pope Pius XII on the 31st of October 1942, renewed the following 8th of December. In fact, from November 1942 onward, the German armies (who were, until then, victorious everywhere) suffered their first serious reversals, leading two and a half years later to the allied victory. (See the folder on this subject.)
One of the objectives of Cap Fatima 2017 is precisely to make the most of the centenary of the Fatima apparitions to encourage us to consecrate our families, our schools, our parishes, our towns, our dioceses, etc. (or to renew them if they’ve already been made). But before making a collective consecration, it is a good idea to prepare ourselves with an individual consecration. An individual initiative can be effectively supported and encouraged if undertaken by several people. This is why, with the support of Monseigneur Rey, and in conjunction with the confrérie Notre Dame de France and the Neuvaine pour la France, we propose that you consecrate yourself individually to the Immaculate Heart of Mary on the 8th of December. And as the Angel of Portugal has always associated the Heart of Jesus with the Heart of Mary, a consecration to the most Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary is suggested.
To fully understand the significance and importance of such an undertaking, we suggest that you prepare it 30 days in advance. You will find the necessary indications in the file on this subject, in particular :
- why make an individual consecration,
- texts to meditate for the 30 days of preparation,
- different suggestions for consecration on the 8th of December.
Those who are already consecrated to the Immaculate Heart of Mary can renew this on that day. We hope that, for the triumph of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, we will be numerous in this undertaking. Afterwards, other dates will be proposed for the consecration of our families, our parishes, our schools, etc. Of course, these dates will only be suggestions to encourage us, with everyone being free to make their consecrations on whatever dates they choose.
In union of prayer, through the Hearts of Jesus and Mary,
Yves de Lassus
President, Cap Fatima 2017.